I wanted to document the most interesting features of JDK 7 here, for my own gratification and to make a place where you can contribute your great finds:
- Invokedynamic bytecode for doing runtime binding of callsites
- Named regular expression groups
- Try with resources / AutoCloseable
- BufferPoolMXBean — where did all my memory go?
- SocketOption, ProtocolFamily and NetworkInterface
- Async IO — including filesystem notifications and a new network stack
- Precise exception rethrowing, catching more than one exception type
- Switch on String
- Much better GZIP support
- Global logger and other log management stuff
- Bitset.valueOf() for arrays
- Paths for manipulating file paths
- Files for copying files and streams, etc. Swiss army knife of stuff
- File attributes, ACLs, etc.
- Long.compare — probably caused a lot of bugs
- Tons of Locale / Character updates
Things I found that are old but new to me:
- Scanner – using all regexes, probably horribly inefficient
- PriorityQueue, Deque
Am I missing anything?